uncompromising compromised blocks

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jul 20 08:06:25 MDT 2007

Hi Dale

I really don't understand how you can call the block compromised if it has
been CA'd. We are talking about blocks that are already compromised by
structural failure- they don't work. It seems to me that CA treatment
"uncompromises" the compromised block. It is a treatment that has
empirically been proven to work for many years. How many? Well the jury is
still out because most of us haven't been doing it longer than 5-10 years.
But for Alan and myself, probably others, we have yet to encounter the piano
it won't fix. For those who have encountered such pianos, I suspect we might
be able to save those pianos as well with a couple of tricks.

How does CA work? It wicks into the cracks and crevices, filling voids,
strengthening the cellular matrix of the wood and who knows what else. It
adds to the structural integrity of the block. Far from compromising it
seems to me to be enhancing it.

Suppose you do have a block that CA won't fix. What tricks would you employ
that you don't consider compromising the block? Such a block would certainly
not be responsive to oversize pins, or any kind of shimming. The only fix
for such a block I am aware of is drilling and plugging. That isn't
compromising the block, it is essentially replacing it.

Do you have some trick or tool to use for such a block that you would not
consider to be compromising? How would you fix such a problem block, short
of replacing it? CA is the most permanent fix I have ever encountered short
of replacing the block.

For those of us who have experience using it there seems to be no downside,
except for the little spinet I wrote about a few days ago, the one I treated
2-3 years ago and now has pins tighter than a new Baldwin. One other minimal
downside: when it comes time to do the actual rebuild, the block needs a
little extra persuasion to separate from the plate. I've done one of those.

I've done repining work and I've tuned many pianos that have been repined by
others. I'll take CA treatment any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
It's easier, quicker, more effective, cheaper for the customer and more of a
pleasure to tune. And instead of spreading cracks like oversize pins, CA
mitigates the problems imposed by cracks.

Maybe I'm missing something. But for my customers the problem of loose pins
no longer mandates a rebuild w/ new block. CA can give their piano many more
years of useful life for minimal cost until other factors (dead strings,
dead soundboard, etc) drive them to the rebuild.

Step on in, Dale. The water's fine. Next time you encounter a marginal pin,
give it a few drops then check it again in 30 minutes. Then you'll be a true
believer as well. :-)

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272