more board question

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Sat Jul 21 09:51:10 MDT 2007

> see below

 I call it my shop - my wife calls it her garage. MC is more in the range of
 30% to 65%.

>> Setting bearing on rib crowned soundboard assemblies will be less
>> affected by small changes in RH/MC. I would presume stable, repeatable
>> environment RH would be rather critical in setting downbearing on a
>> compression crowned soundboard system. I presume you are working with a
>> rib crowned soundboard here - my guess from your relatively high MC at
>> rib/panel glue-up. If yours is rib crowned, who designed it?
 You are correct - Dale Fox tutored me on previous projects but this board
is
 my design.

>> Where are you doing this work? In your shop? What kind of climate control
>> systems do you have? What kind of RH monitoring system do you have? What
>> range of RH does your shop experience?
 Climate control is nothing but a humidifier (swamp box) to keep things from
 drying out too much.
 Monitoring is the cheep hygrometer that also goes with me to clients homes.
 30% to 65% rh range

>> I have simply never observed bearing conditions in the new board change
>> over time because I keep my shop environmental conditions very stable. I
>> find that helps keep things predictable and keeps me from pulling my hair
>> out. I find my shop RH range to be ideal, because I install Damp-Chaser
>> systems on all pianos that I put soundboards in, and thus, presumably
>> soundboard MC will stay close to my shop conditions - that way, wherever
>> I set bearing, bearing should remain constant.
 Very helpful - I probably will not be able to control rh in a 5% range in
 the forseable future but it is a goal.
 Thanks
 Gene