2nd Try on Sostenuto Research Resources

Shawn Brock shawn_brock at comcast.net
Sat Jul 21 12:14:04 MDT 2007

RE: 2nd Try on Sostenuto Research ResourcesOh yes, that is a good book.  This is something from the Internet that might be helpful.  To my knowledge no one disputes that the Sostenuto was invented by the blind.  I'm sure that might hurt some peoples pride but...

 Sostenuto pedal

The last pedal to be added to the modern grand was the middle pedal, the '
Sostenuto,
' which was inspired by the French. By using this pedal, a pianist can sustain selected notes, while other notes remain unaffected. The sostenuto was first
shown at the
French Industrial Exposition of 1844
in Paris, by
Boisselot and Sons,
a Marseille company. French piano builders
Alexandre Francois Debain
and
Claude Montal
built sostenuto mechanisms in 1860, and 1862, respectively. These innovative efforts did not immediately catch on with other piano builders. In 1874,
Albert Steinway
perfected and patented the sostenuto pedal. (Williams 2002:26). He began to advertise it publicly in 1876, and soon the
Steinway
company was including it on all of their grands and their higher class uprights. (Banowetz 1985:4).

Other American piano builders quickly adopted the sostenuto pedal into their piano design. The sostenuto was never well-received in Europe, however. Even
German-made
Hamburg Steinways
only put the sostenuto on their 9 ft. grands. (Banowetz 1985:4). Today, the sostenuto is on a few more European pianos, but it remains a standard fixture
primarily on American-made grands. (Good 1982:22).

The term 'sostenuto' is perhaps not the best descriptive term for what this pedal actually does. 'Sostenuto' in Italian means "sustaining". (Siepmann 1996:17).
This definition alone would make it sound as if the sostenuto pedal accomplishes the same thing as the damper, or "sustaining" pedal. The sostenuto pedal
was originally called the "tone-sustaining" pedal. (Banowetz 1985:4). That name would be more accurately descriptive of what the pedal accomplishes.

It is interesting that, of all the pedals that were experimented with on the piano throughout its development, the sostenuto pedal is one that took up permanent
residence on the modern grand. Most pianists can go the majority of their playing career without using the pedal; very few compositions actually call for
its use. Only a handful of composers, including
Debussy,
Ravel
(Siepmann 1996:17),
Griffes,
call for the use of this pedal; the sostenuto still remains the least used pedal of the three on the piano.