Complete Grand cleaning

pianotuna55 at comcast.net pianotuna55 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 22 08:33:39 MDT 2007

Hi Noah:
This is what I do:
1.  Remove the action
2.  Vacuum as much of the loose dirt from the action, keybed and inside the piano.
     Take an old sheet and place on the floor in front of the piano, reverse vacuum and blow out anything left.   Do this preferably when no one else is in the room!  An old sheet will catch what comes out.  Don't forget to vacuum the floor before you leave.

3.  Polish off the rust & corrosion from the plain wire strings with polita (looks like a hard rubber easer from piano supply), speaking length, the    duplex      front and back even up to the tuning pins(not the wound strings) I do this at this point because particles of the polita falls on the soundboard.

4.  I use a dust cloth (GrabIt- made by Glade) Wipe everything (dirt will stick to it) and under strings with soundboard steel.  On a fairly new piano this may be all that's needed to keep it looking new.

5. (real dirty piano)  In a plastic pale, mix 2 tablespoons of Murphy's Oil Soap (liquid) (get it at Wal Mart) to a half pale water.  Cut a piece of terry-cloth towel about 2' X 2',  tie a 4' string on one of the corners.  Put in soap solution and wring out.   Clean soundboard.  Push under strings with soundboard steel and pull back with the string.   Back & forth.  Dip in pale & repeat until clean.  You can clean rag in clear water and do again, but there is so little soap that usually it not necessary.

6.  In the pinblock area, use aerosol Woolite Foam Carpet cleaner.  Spray a little foam in one section at a time.  Using a 3" paint brush, work in between tuning pins and under strings loosening dirt.  After the dirt loosens, dry the brush with a dry towel and work the pin area again, dry brush again. Repeat until clean.  It dries quickly does not soak into the pinblock.  Sometimes all the gunk just will not come off........do the best you can.

7.  Wipe down the plate, damper heads with moist cloth with Murphy's solution and wipe dry.

8.  Take the action outside and blow out (reverse the vacuum) put hose in other end.

  Cleaning outside the case I won't cover here.  I wouldn't polish any brass because it has been coated and you don't want to rub it off unless you are going to refinish it.  That's another keg of nails!
For the keys, I a moist cloth or if needed  a fine mist of 409 cleaner and follow with moist cloth and then dry cloth.

This is what I do.  Usually it takes about an hour.  I know others have their ideas, so you try everything and end up with what fits you.  Thanks for listening.  It's extra money in the pocket and believe me, you will be a hit with the lady of the house and really doing the piano a favor!~
Howard Jackson

From: Noah Haverkamp <noahhaverkamp at yahoo.com>