Lacquer versus varnish

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 14:58:30 MDT 2007

At 11:51 pm +1000 23/7/07, Scott Jackson wrote:

>...I am familiar with violin varnish which my brother uses, but i
>had not considered that pianos used something comparable.

They didn't, at least in England and Germany.  The varnish used on
almost all piano soundboards in Europe from the year dot is "white
hard varnish", which is a solution of mainly gum sandarac (a pale
yellow resin) in spirit. It does not sink into the wood but gives a
very brittle coating that is easily scratched.  Fiddle varnish is an
oil varnish containing very special gums, costing many times the
price of white hard varnish and quite unsuitable for piano
soundboards.  There is nothing mysterious or magic about the
properties of white hard varnish -- it is cheap and quick and
designed simply to protect the soundboard from the elements.  I can
think of very few makers, including famous makers, who paid much
attention to getting a smooth bright finish on their soundboards --
Lipp and Brinsmead are the only ones that spring to mind -- and this
may have been achieved by french-polishing over the white hard
varnish when it had gone hard.  I have done this several times with
excellent results but it does take a long time.  A good soundboard
man in most factories probably finished a grand soundboard in less
than 5 minutes.  You can't work slowly with white hard varnish.

JD