Defending your tuning

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Jul 24 00:51:43 MDT 2007

Geoff,

A person's hearing can be a touchy subject and putting the problem on
the player's perception can sound like a tuner not taking responsibility
for his own poor workmanship. But the times I've run into this kind of
disagreement, it has been a hearing problem or wrongly-programmed
digital hearing aids. Recently the problem was that the wearer was
operating the hearing aid improperly. I recommended consulting with a
second audiologist who helped her to put things right and now I have a
very grateful customer (with a Bosie 7'4" :-)

My approach has been to verify the tuning carefully, both digitally and
aurally as you did and, having passed all the tests, I can then only
certify the piano as tuned. The one time I tried to accommodate the
player, who wanted one low bass note retuned, I could see that they
wanted it far, far from in tune and retreated back to what I knew to be
in tune. It's best if you quietly hold to your standards and simply
suggest they get a second opinion.

Is there an audiologist in the house?

Tom Cole