Defending your tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 07:52:06 MDT 2007

Probably because that's where he focuses his hearing.

I tend to think that we as piano tuners listen to such a broad
spectrum of sound that we tend to lose the ability to focus well on
speech. For instance, we might not hear words clearly, though there is
nothing wrong with our hearing.

I had my hearing tested last year, and it's normal, but I do have
small problems sometimes hearing conversation if there is a lot of
noise in the room.  I think it might be because I've focused my brain
so hard to listen for everything that I end up hearing everything in
the room.

FWIW,

JF