Lacquer versus varnish

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 23:32:05 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/23/2007 7:06:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
scottwaynejackson at hotmail.com writes:

Thanks very much Bob. I am familiar with violin varnish which my brother
uses, but i had not considered that pianos used something comparable. I will
go explore the links that you have provided, and learn something else new.

May i ask where you obtained suitable varnish when you did use it?

Scott,

Varnish formulas vary in the type of resin, the proportion of oil, and the
amount of driers. The most common resins are alkyd, and polyurethane-modified
alkyd. The polyurethanes are more abrasion resistant, but in our experience tend
to make a white shatter if damaged, so are harder to touch up. They tend to
yellow more, and are more touchy to recoat. The alkyd is a little softer, but
easier to rub out and re-rub.

McCloskey makes a good alkyd resin varnish called Heirloom. [This just in - I
understand the parent company, Valspar, is changing the name to Cabot
Varnish.] It is also medium oil, which puts it between the short oil varnishes, which
are harder but less flexible; and the long-oil varnishes (like spar varnish),
which are unnecessarily flexible, and softer. We have used it on soundboards
(and a few pianos) for over thirty years, and don't have any complaints.

Hope that helps.
Bob Davis