Finding the strike line another method

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 27 09:49:47 MDT 2007

>When you, or
> Dale, have set up the piano with the curve in the line to get the best
> tonal result, do you find that the hammer is striking the string at
> different proportions of the speaking length?

This is a good question. We tend to presume that the piano was
designed with a linear progression of strike ratio from the
middle of the scale on up, and was built accordingly. But,
even assuming that it was actually built to design specs, is a
linear progression optimal? What are the determining factors?
I haven't done any research along these lines, but I'd think
that hammer hardness, weight, and resilience would be a factor
in defining the ideal strike point, as would soundboard
response, perhaps. The strike line deviations from a straight
line happen in the low treble section - the killer octave.
Why? Just hanging the hammers where they work best is good
enough for getting the job done, but I'd like to know more of
the why here. Another interesting thing to look into.

Ron N