Munck open-face pinblock - two parts?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jul 27 19:02:19 MDT 2007

Tuning the old German piano of a local musical figure of note today, I mused
about the pinblock. I am sorry about the quality of these pics, I only had
my cellphone with me, not my good camera.

I wondered, did they make the pinblock in two sections? There are five bolts
(one not in the pic) in the treble section and none in the bass. The bass
section face is at a different angle, which you can just about see in the
pics. It goes from about 1mm at the top to about 6mm at the bottom.  Is it a
whole plank, face in that way, or two bits? Why no bolts in the bass?

The pics aren't good enough to see it, but the treble strings run over a
brass (bronze?) rod about 1mm diameter.

Best regards,

David.