Steck upright

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 15:01:23 MDT 2007

At 9:03 pm -0500 27/7/07, firmin1 wrote:

>Was it a Gotha Steck?

 From the look of the dampers that is a Herrburger Brooks (yuck!)
action and it is therefore probably an English-made Steck.  Although
these sometimes sound quite good, the quality of workmanship is
nothing like the Gotha-made pianos.  Last month I was asked to look
at a Steck upright and make an offer for it.  I went only because it
was close to home but did not regret the visit.  This was indeed a
Gotha Steck and I bought it.  The sound of this piano is terrific and
it is very well made.  The action is by Lexow.

JD