Can something be used to blast out "dogstink" from a Knabe reproducer ???????

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 17:33:56 MDT 2007

   I just got a 1927 Knabe Ampico reproducing upright
piano from an estate. Much restoration was done to it
( not too badly ) and it was in pretty nice shape when
I saw it, 10 years ago.
     Unfortunately, as is extremely often the case,
once she passed away her home was rented to uncouth,
inconsiderate slobs who let their dogs pee in the room
with it. So now it stinks, a bit. ( Too much for me,
as I have a  very sensitive nose. )
     I cleaned the case pieces with a quick scrubbing
with SuperClean on terry cloth,  followed by a  blast
from the water hose and a very quick dry-off with
paper towels, and leaning the pieces in the sun.  That
VERY effectively removed the slimy cooking oil, dust,
cigarette tar and  dog stink "goo" from these parts
( They don't smell at all to me, any more ) but I'm
wondering about the insides ???  Is there something I
could load my spray gun with, and "wash down" the
interior; removing, at least, some of the
contamination ( and killing the germs ) without
damaging the soundboard, shellac, pinblock, etc..? I
wouldn't mind letting "it" (whatever it was )
evaporate for a  week or two, in my shed, if need be.
   It's an excellent piano(for sale, by the way,
cheap) and a shame it was treated so callously, once
the owner passed! ( I see this a lot around here:
college town. )

     Peace,