Retirement? was What's a tuning business worth?

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 18:22:34 MDT 2007

One of the reasons I got into the biz (this is about my sixth career) was/is that it is a business one can do as long as one wishes and is physically able. I will frankly need and want additional income in "retirement". The beauty of it, also, is one can set their own hours (to a point) and decide how much or little to work. It is a great career in that regard. There are some durned fine octogenarian tuners out there, we have one in our chapter who tunes about 3 pianos a day and is quite active in the guild. Then there's Jim Coleman, Sr., Virgil Smith, etc.

I don't know your circumstance, but I'd be tempted to keep the list, maybe turn names over a few at a time to some young squirt you know and trust but keeping the cream of the crop, i.e., nice people with good pianos.

Retirement is in many ways a state of mind. Some of us really can't afford to live in that state. Some people thrive on post-career gardening and fishing, others go nuts or keel over dead in a year or two.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO