techicians or tooners

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sat Jun 2 15:41:29 MDT 2007

Les, this is an Introduction to Talking With Pianists (and Why)!  Thanks so
much.  I hadn't thought about it from the perspective of the non-player
technician, but after reading the kinds of questions you ask, I suspect you
notice things I wouldn't, because you've had some great teachers (not to
mention your own talent, skill, and expertise <g>).

As an example:  Doug Neal recently told me about Mischa Dichter's
requirement that dampers work at NINE different levels of engagement (and
forgive me if I'm paraphrasing that badly).  Doug undoubtedly knows a whole
universe about dampers that I can't even imagine, even though he doesn't
play.  Unless I happened to talk to just the right player (or technician), I
would never know that such thing was possible.

So, thanks, Les (and Doug), for educating me!

Sometimes, I find that my playing experience gets in the way of helping
customers because I can't duplicate the ways their hands (brain/arms/feet)
work.  So, many of the pianos I work on just tend to perform better for me
than for their owners.  That's where John's info card would be particularly
useful for me.

Annie Grieshop