Sanderson Accu-tuner

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jun 8 21:25:41 MDT 2007

All of them do a decent job.  It just depends on how you like to work, how
much weight you want to carry, how often you like to recharge, how much you
want to tweak or get into the programmability.  My view of ETD's is that for
real quality tuning you must always monitor their decisions anyway so choose
the one that is the simplest to use and performs the tasks as quickly and
efficiently as you need.  They are a nice tool and relieve a lot of the
stress in less than ideal tuning situations.

The SATIII is lightweight, long charge time, easy to use, good for direct
interval checking, decent pitch raise function.  The VT has all the bells
and whistles, is programmable, contains a large cache of temperaments,
alleges to measure every note and set up a custom scale, gives lots of data
on the screen, decent pitch raise function, but is heavy, needs more
frequent recharging, some people don't like the display.  The RCT is
lightweight, needs frequent charging, has probably the best pitch raise
function, several stretch options.  Each supplier will give you more data
than I have provided but think about how you will use it and what matters
and then make your decision.  I happen to agree with David A. that aural
skills are still very necessary as machines calculate theoretical curves and
you need to make practical decisions based on each piano's idiosyncrasies.
I tuned for 20 years or more strictly aurally before I bought a ETD.  While
you don't necessarily need to follow that lead, don't forgo developing aural
skills just because you have a machine.  Often, they make mistakes which you
need to override.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com