Keep on filing...

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 18 20:16:52 MDT 2007

Hi Danilo,

If you stop posting and asking questions you will cause offence. This is what this list is for.
I will start off by saying that I am self taught, I listen to the pianist and I feel the note. Of course filing the hammer is going to reduce the weight etc but not by that much. If the hammers are filed evenly then the noticeable difference will be minute.
Obviously in your regulation of the action you have neglected to adjust the repetition springs tension.  After the spring tensions have been adjusted then it will pay to go over all the other dimintions again as most regulation points will vary with every adjustment.

These should be adjusted to rise with a good lift after the hammer is released from check. If they rise too fast the hammer will hit the string with a little 'ting' and if they don't rise then the repetition will suffer.

The hammer filling should be to give the correct face on the hammer where it strikes the string (a rounded surface) with the centre of the wood in the middle of the strike point.  I prefer to round the shoulders as I am rounding the face of the hammer but it's a good idea to leave a lot of the shoulder on as it is weight. Just keep them even on both sides for good balance.

Have fun

Tony