Keep on filing...

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 20 03:19:06 MDT 2007

Hi Danilo,

Replacement of parts is always the ideal, problem is that many of our customers cannot afford the cost of rebuilding the action. Still we, as piano tuners, are required to make the instrument we are working on play to the best of its ability without major cost.
Over the fourty odd years that I have been 'fiddling' with pianos I have found that many of the so called 'good' piano tuners don't reface hammers, don't regulate actions and don't tune to pitch. So forget about trying to rebuild everything or just tune it, work for the customer and improve the piano as far as you can. Tell your customer that there is much more that can be done and you would advise it (in some instances) but the cost may be more than the piano is worth.
Re Action.
You will find that after you have all the hammers rising firmly (but not rushing) that the repetition lever is still below the hight of the jack. Your drop screw may be too low stopping the repetition lever going up high enough or (and more likely) the repetition regulating screw at the hammer end of the re[etition lever requires adjusting to allow the top of the jack to be just below the top of the repetition lever.
Remember when you make one adjustment another goes out, you rectify that and another goes out etc etc. Eventually the errors created are small enough to ignore and you have finished.
Remember price. a rough job is $100 a reasonable job is $300 a good job is $800 a fantastic job is $10,000. Your call.

Tony