Keep on filing...(picture attached)

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Jun 20 10:40:45 MDT 2007

John:

I don't know that I'd call it a "rule" but it's a procedure and one that
use in a thorough regulation.  I'd say it's pretty common on this side
of the pond.  I learned it from Bill Garlick back when he was the
director of technical training at Steinway NY. He's now retired and
living on the Isle of Man in your corner of the world - last I've heard.

Pinning the repetition lever to 8 grams restricts the jumpiness of the
hammer on key release and directs more of the spring's energy into
returning the key.  When I'm doing a very careful regulation of a
performance piano (where "it's so even" is the compliment I want to
hear) I use an 8-gram weight I have that has a hole in the middle.  If I
put that weight on the screw that regulates the rep. lever's height (the
short end of the rep. lever) I want the pinning tight enough that it
holds the weight.  When I place it on the drop screw pad (the longer end
of the rep. lever) I want the lever to gently fall.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu