missing piano

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri Jun 22 11:34:45 MDT 2007

A while back there was a similarly-themed post here, or possibly on another
PTG-managed list. At the time, I suggested a centralized notice board,
rather than relying on everyone keeping a few emails for a long time or
searching the archives for non-specific search terms.

Surprisingly this doesn't seem to happen very often, but I think a public
link from the www.ptg.org home page with un-resolved thefts would be
beneficial.  If a tech's new "customer" seems suspicious in describing
his/her new acquisition, the tech could simply check the list. If a
potential buyer is suspicious of a seller, s/he could check the
publicly-accessible list.

Perhaps a re-builder who stamps/stencils the serial number on the sound
board could/should additionally record it elsewhere in a less conspicuous
location in the piano... e.g. on the underside of the pinblock or on the
keybed.

Limiting such alerts to a few listservs limits the audience that becomes
aware of a crime. I know that there are numerous techs who see a good many
pianos over the course of a month that are too busy to monitor this list.

Thoughts?
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN