back from K.C. David A / Stopper

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 25 17:55:18 MDT 2007

Interesting that you should like this tuning so much there David.
Stopper uses his own version of the P-12th tuning stumbled upon
independently in a far more pragmatic approach by myself, and
essentially used without being so defined by hundreds of tuners through
the years who place a lot of weight on the major 6th double decime
(10th) test.  Essentially a P-12th is a very moderate stretch...that
pushes the stretch in the killer octave area out there a bit more then
octave priority tunings usually do. Jim Coleman did some looking into
the Tune-lab P-12th approach I came up with a few years back and there
is some of his commentary in the archives on it.

The interesting part about this is that just about everyone I've ever
run into that uses one or another P-12th approach just ends up loving
the tuning and specifically mention their enthusiasm for the stretch
achieved.

Personally, I find the P 12th approach to generally cause a too narrow
bass and have come to rather lean heavily on an acceptably quiet 9:3
coincident pair as part of my tuning tests. This tends to push the bass
notes lower then a P-12th tuning would.  I find there has to be a nice
compromise between what a P-12th wants and what the 9:3 coincident
allows for.

At some point in the bass...looked at from an octave priority
perspective... the 4:2 and the 6:3 become more or less identical in
terms of beat rates... nearly 0. At that point I let the 9:3 come into
the picture. If its <<annoyingly>> fast...... then I need to push a bit
wide.  I havent gotten into counting beats with this yet... one just
finds a good compromise.

In anycase... that you like this approach of Bernhards re-enforces
something I've suspected from your own discussions on tuning on the list
for a long while now. That your tuning ends up very close to a P-12 result.

Cheers
RicB

    Special greetings right back at ya, Bernhard.  The Fazioli suite was
    on my floor (the 36th) at the Hyatt; on Saturday, after my 6-hour
    marathon of teaching, I followed an impulse to turn right into the
    Fazioli suite rather than left into my room, and what I found was
    magnificent: a 6'4" piano, which I had played and enjoyed on
    Thursday, was now luminously beautiful; I played a little, and
    immediately asked some guy there who had tuned it; he pointed to you,
    hunched over a computer with Rick Baldassin in the corner of the
    room. I played some more; this piano was tuned in a manner extremely
    close to my protocol and stretch; it sounded, to me, like a million
    bucks. My only quibble---and a teeny one, at that---was the slight
    imperfections in the unisons, but the tuning was awesome. Then, as is
    my wont, I expressed my satisfaction to you rather joyfully and
    forcefully---hope I didn't freak you out with my enthusiasm, brother.
    That was one great piano tuning, Mr. Stopper. Thank you.

    xoxxoDavid A.