Aural Tuning- Pianos with High Inharmonicity

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 22:40:18 MST 2007

Hi Greg,

Have you looked at the PACE tuning lesson books?
Also, maybe search out the George Defebaugh
temperament sequence.  Using contiguous M3rds may help
because their beat speeds are faster and easier to
hear than relying only on 4ths and 5ths.

There is a great way to set the F3-A3 major 3rd
accurately for any piano.  (was it Jack Stebbins'
method?) It has been written about recently in the
Journal maybe a year or two ago. Maybe someone can
chime in with the month/yr. and title of that article.
It uses contiguous M3rds above and below F3-A3 to set
its beat speed exactly between these two outer M3rds.

--- Greg Livingston <pianotuner440 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> (This is for my aural-tuning colleagues; I am three
> college tuitions away
> from an ETD...)
>
> Today I struggled with a 70's Acrosonic and no
> matter what I did, it still
> sounded lousy. I tune aurally, using Bill Bremmer's
> chain (April-May 2004
> PTG Journal). Finally, I went back to my old
> standby, 4ths and 5ths, and got
> it sounding okay.
>
> When you tune a PSO, do you spread the F-A third
> wide?  Do you set it at 7
> bps or more? Do you try to get the F-D to match the
> A-C#?

No. F3-D3 will match the beat speed of G3-B3 - this is
the outside 6th, inside 3rd test.

>Or do just try to
> get the octaves as beat-free as you can? How do you
> deal with these beasts?

Don't waste too much time on them.