Pinblock Question

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 07:11:43 MST 2007

Neither are exstinct. Reidsohn model S108S (Korean) of 1991 vintage is 85 note and the marketing hype is that this is the "Classic German scale".

Here is an open pin block design circa 1980 of another infamous make.

Here is an 1883 Bechstein with a full plate, s/n 14471 which is essentially the same design as a 1928 model 9 which I came across the other day s/n 132268 that had an open face pinblock.  So your guess is as good as mine as to the reasoning; just remember it was in the Depression years. Both these pianos have floating bridges in the low tenor and the bass. They sound awful.

The 1928 version had very small hammers though and I was wondering at the time I saw it if these were in fact the original hammers.

AF