String coils affect stability?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 25 11:30:09 MST 2007

> I certainly would not let down the tension to tighten coils.
>
> With respect, I have measured the difference in unison stability with
> sloppy coils. There is a small but measureable difference, after lifting
> coils and tapping them down to form nice tight coils on upright pianos that
> are 50 years old and equipped with humidity control systems.
>
> I routinely check each new client's piano by testing three pins. If there
> is no pitch drop then I accept the coils. If any of the three change pitch
> then I take the time to address the coils.

Don,
This sounds to me like you're talking about tapping and
settling coils. I'm not. Tapping coils and getting measurable
pitch changes is *not* tuning instability any more than
dumping a piano down a flight of stairs and finding wavy
unisons afterward is. Untouched, those non-neat coils will
themselves manifest no tuning stability problem at all year
after year after year unless someone disturbs them by tapping
and settling. That is, of course, after the initial settling
after stringing. The neatest coils you ever saw will likely
produce a pitch change when tapped if coils haven't been
touched since it was originally strung and settled. This
doesn't mean to me that they need tapped, or the customer
needs to pay for it, because they'll not be a problem left alone.
Ron N