Rib Press

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 26 09:34:31 MST 2007

You can get by with two presses, but three is better - I think your figuring
is pretty good.

The main thing I like about the pneumatic press is that the hose conforms
perfectly to the shape of the rib and delivers consistent known pressure to
every area of the rib. I don't know how one could come even close to
duplicating that kind of performance with a screw system.

If you have a compressor with any kind of tank on it, you needent worry
about compressor noise. The volume at pressure of the hose is very small
compared to the volume of most any tank of average size. I'm not sure what
size my tank is - maybe 30 gallons - it is portable (on wheels) - its not a
real big one - but after charging the tank with air, I can rib a board
without the compressor ever going on - I don't think the tank looses any
more than ten or so pounds of pressure during the entire process - so run
the thing once, unplug it, and no more worries about noise. In fact, the
quiet is kinda nice - you can listen to the cracking, popping, and groaning
of the presses as you charge the hoses - sounds like it's going to explode,
but they never do (or at least never have!). I usuall rib during the day,
but those noises would be way cool at 3:00 AM!

Maybe not the info you are looking for, but maybe something to think
about......

Terry Farrell