Xylol for tuning pin bushings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 29 13:14:00 MST 2007

> Concerning tuning  pin bushings being  soaked in
> Xylol:
> Sometime ago Joe Garrett told about using this method
> to  make the bushings pliable.  It was in response to
> a post that was concerned about not being  able  to
> find a bushing small enough for the plate holes.

In that case, I'd ream the plate holes to fit the available
bushings, or leave the bushings out.

> Now I am finding the opposite scenario.
>
> This plate has holes too large for the 7/16 o.d.
> bushings.    Will  the Xylol treatment make them swell
> and fit that hole better? I've just started soaking a
> batch today in hopes.
>
> This wet bushing won't make the pin rusty I hope.
>
> Bob Hull

If they do swell to fit now, they'll shrink and crack later.
Been there, though not with Xylol. In this case, I'd either
make bushings to fit, or leave them out.

I always liked the feel of plate bushings, and would attempt
to retain them if it was relatively easy to do, but if doing
so presents a bottomless time sink or high likelihood of
failure, I'll abandon them. Part of that decision is
determined by the pinblock you're using.

Ron N