QUESTION ABOUT AN OLD PIANO

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Fri May 25 02:45:21 MDT 2007

Like some others here, a large proportion of my work - at least 80% is old
uprights.

Some are lovely, fine-quality instruments, and some are horrid cheapo late
19th century English "cottage industry" pianos that were very poor even
when brand new.  I can be pretty severe with people who have one of those
and talk about "sentimental value, it was my Great-Granny's, etc".  I ask
"And do you keep your Great-Granny's car because of sentimental value?"

Last week a tuned a horrid old Spencer upright for a new customer whose
daughter was starting lessons.  Afterwards they asked when it should be
tuned next, and I replied "Probably never. It wouldn't justify it.  If
your daughter turns out to be really interested, you will need to
upgrade".
I dress it up more tactfully than that - usually!

I so much agree with Tom Sivak's comments about capstan adjustment.  It's
such a large return for little effort.  Sometimes I do it for free for
nice customers.  I charge a little more for tuning than another tuner in
the area anyway, and I think the impression that is made and the degree to
which the customer is pleased, is worth the little extra time.  Plus,
perceptions vary from area to area, and in this area, if I said to new
clients "For extra money I can adjust these capstans if you want", quite a
few people would think I was being grasping, and would just refuse.

Best regards,

David B.

P.S. I'm talking of ordinary dowel-type capstans here.  Two-screw rocker
arrangements with attached stickers, as found on some old uprights here,
would be much less likely to be a "freebie"!