damper felt sizes

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 08:15:03 MST 2007

I'm putting new damper felt on a S&S M that we just put a new block in and restrung.

I have a set a grand damper felts from Pianotek Tokiwa and a set from Steinway for an M.  The Steinway dampers for the trichord wedges are really short in length (similar to another M sitting here waiting to be done of same vintage) and shorter in heigth.  The ones we took off which I believe were original were taller and longer.

The Tokiwa trichords are longer.  I have a 3rd M sitting here that Ron N. did and is awaiting refinishing and it has the longer felts.  These dampers are working very well.  I'm not sure if they are Tokiwa or?

How important is the pressure p.s.i. on the string for effective damping?  Which felt sets do you prefer?

Bob Hull