damper felt design

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 13:14:36 MST 2007

Correct my comments here if you disagree:  .

A trichord wedge felt exerts pressure on a larger surface area of the string than a flat piece.  Sides and top of string are in contact with felt.

A flat piece of felt that is sown down the middle has a smaller area of contact but is allowing for more pressure on the contact areas. Or does the wedge give a pinching effect on the string thus exerting greater pressure? )

Question:  Has Steinway changed their damper felt configuration at times from the configuration of which strings are receiving wedges and flats?

Like I said in an earlier post today, the set I rec'd from them for an M has significantly different sizes than the original set.

Other than "just trying and seeing what you get" , what are some guidelines you use for determining when you're going to use trichord wedges front and back versus wedge in the front and flat piece in the back?  Secondly, how do you decide between using sets with longer pieces of felt as opposed to shorter?

Comments appreciated.

Tagging along,

Bob Hull