Voicing down hammers

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Nov 2 20:47:26 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Bondi <phil at philbondi.com>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:49 pm
Subject: Re: Voicing down hammers

?
David Love wrote:?
> Straight acetone will actually make them harder. In fact, you can use it to?
> bring up the tone just slightly on a set that's slightly soft. I suppose it?
> causes the felt to shrink a bit.?
?
David, I'm under the understanding that if a hammer is treated with acetone and keytops, like I'm sure this set was, then straight acetone will help break down the plastic..is that not true??
?
-Phil Bondi(Fl)?

Phil

The acetone will break down the keytop material, but?it won't remove the material. All it does it move it around.?If you can bring the action to the shop,?soak the hammers in acetone, but then use a high pressured air hose, and literally blow the keytop material out of the hammer.

I was going to?suggest Downy, but Dave beat me to the punch.?

Wim
?