Voicing down hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 5 08:21:53 MST 2007

If you needle in a direction which is more tangent to the outer part of the
hammer leaning the handle of the voicing tool toward the strike point, you
will be able to loosen the outer layers of felt and release tension from the
hammer overall.  The needles may only penetrate 3-4 mms below the surface
using this method but you will be surprised out how effective it is-easier
on the hammers as well.  Don't hesitate to stitch in very close proximity to
the strike point but the needles should at that point be pointing toward the
shoulder of the hammer.  Trying to drive the needles in a direction more
perpendicular to the outer part of the hammer will simply break a lot of
needles and won't be effective.  I really think that soaking them in alcohol
just ruins them.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com