has anyone ever done this....

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:17:27 MST 2007

As in, before you install it in the piano? I don't think so but wouldn't it be dandy.

If it's a bichord next to a bichord, you can wedge a piece of felt, maybe a strip of action cloth, between your new string and one string of the neighboring note. It will kill both, of course, but may sound better than the new string in a couple of months. Make sure the owner knows and approves so there are no funny questions later.

My area is very large, very rural. If I have this situation and know it is not reasonable to make a return trip between tunings, I have stooped to (or brilliantly employed) this tactic: I have an old "student" hammer which--if the customer is willing and able--I will lend him or her until my next visit. You have to give a little hands-on training in unison tuning and pin turning safety before you leave--and make yourself a note where you left that tool or some other tech will find it in the piano bench 15 years from now!

Other times, I've used the old string roller/stretcher and tuned it somewhat sharp (again, explain it all to the customer or he'll think you screwed up). This is on the theory that it will help settle the string a little faster and give an interval of time where it doesn't sound too bad. You can say: "Be sure to play the piano a lot next Tuesday, because it will actually be in tune that day."

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO