has anyone ever done this....

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Nov 5 15:33:41 MST 2007

When you replace it, bring it above pitch, and mute it off.
It will then not bother when it drops, which it will.
When you tune the piano the next time, first thing, bring it above pitch, then tune it last, leaving it a smidgeon high.
Unless it is a new piano, I will usually splice the string if possible, this alleviates the stretch problem somewhat.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca