has anyone ever tried this?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 10:02:31 MST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 10:29 AM, paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net> wrote:
> I had the same question about pulling it 1/2 step sharp. RCT overpulls for
> pitch correction is much less in the bass, too.
>
> As for muting the new string, the suggestion is to stick a piece of felt
> between the new string and the nearest string on the next note. That way two
> notes are playing one string each (obviously, this only applies to bi-chord
> bass notes!!)
>
> Paul Bruesch
> Stillwater, MN
>

> On 11/6/07, Steve Blasyak <atuneforyou at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Now,
> >
> > I'm reluctant to stick my rather prominent nose into this topic, but.....
> I have a few questions about advise given thus far.
> >
> > First Brian says its a wound single bass string. How do you mute a single
> string and leave it for next time.
> >
> > The advise of pulling it 1/2 step sharp on a single bass string? I do this
> on plain wire but bass stings? I was of the understanding that bass strings
> at pitch are closer to the breaking point. Would a single wound bass string
> tolerate being pulled a half step sharp? Sounds risky to me.
> >
> > Just a few thoughts and questions for the enlightened ones.
> >
> > Thanx in advance.
> >
> > Steve Blasyak
> >
> > OC Ca
> >
> > Pura Vida
> >
> > ________________________________
> Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
> today!

The advice for pulling it 1/2 tone sharp applies ONLY to a new string,
this is not advisable once the stretch has been taken care of but it
can help to stretch it faster. Of course just like any bass string, it
would be done incrementally not in one fast pull. It will have you
flinching inwardly as you do it the first few times but you will find
it gets easier.

Mike

--
The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com