has anyone ever tried this?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 15:37:42 MST 2007

Brian,

Yes, I have heard tell of people experimenting with hanging weights
 from the end of piano wire in an attempt to get them pre-stretched. I
am not privy to the details, but I would guess that the weight used was
around the amount of tension the string would be under when at pitch. I
would further guess that the bends are so important in achieving
stability that this approached was dropped. But I just don't know. Why
don't you try it and report back to the list?

Alan Eder