follow up: RE: New Stein. A loose hammer flanges

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 7 19:08:50 MST 2007

Regarding the new Steinway A.........
Thanks for the responses.

I repin Ab4 to Ab5 to see what I get.

There were 27 swings on some hammer flanges.
Some birds eyes required #22 pin to be tight.
The pins were rotating in some bird eyes.

The change in tone on this piano was astounding.
I have been chasing voicing issues that are pining
issues.

The rep. works.

One comment was that Steinway spec for hammer flange
pinning is .1 to 4 grams. There is talk of a zero
friction policy. Excuse my ignorance, but are you
kidding, is that a joke. Do they really think one
tenth on one gram is acceptable.

  If so I should post a recording of the change
in tone in this octave for all to hear. Also it
is imposable  to get the rep springs soft enough
not to jump and still allow the rep. lever to support
the hammer on fast trills. Impossible I say with
.1 gram resistance.

   Now I have to do the whole piano.

   The repined octave is silky smooth.
   The very next note A5 screams upper harmonics and
has clack in the tone. The clack was not so noticeable
when ever thing was the same, but now with a clean
point of reference it is so clearly deficient.

                           Cheers
                           Dave Renaud

      Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca