New Stein A loose hammer flanges

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 7 20:25:28 MST 2007

Whatever the manual says, the .1 – 4 grams acceptable range came straight
from the horses mouth (David Kirkland) after I queried about zero gram
resistance throughout the piano on a new B.  With respect to your other
message about parts quality, I have not found anyone approaching Renner in
terms of quality on a consistent basis--that in spite of claims of
improvement.  I frequently run into loose drop screws, tight pinning on
jacks, loose pinning on hammer flanges, noisy repetition springs.  I don't
see these problems with Renner.  I’ve not found fit or weigh-off to be a
problem with Renner given the various options to accommodate the randomness
with which various manufacturers, especially Steinway have produced actions
with respect to leverage.  Often, the availability of those various
configurations is simply essential.  Neither Tokiwa nor Abel, in my view,
are quite there yet.  However, the one thing that Tokiwa does that I wish
Renner would do is produce a wippen with a screw adjustable assist spring.
When using that style part, I think that is an essential feature.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com