has anyone ever tried this?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 05:06:44 MST 2007

I sent this yesterday, but don't know if it went through.  So here it is again.

On 11/7/07, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> In other words, it's the bends.

OK, I'll ask questions because I can't observe a new string right now
in order to answer this experimentally.

So if it is all in the bends, theoretically one could fully stabilize
a string at one session, right?  I haven't ever tried to verify that
because I've been told for years that it *always* takes time for
stabilization to occur.  (I.e., because the wire is stretching.  Maybe
I need to occasionally switch out of lemming mode.  "But my mentor
said....")

It follows that if stabilization is immediately possible, why does it
take up to a year for strings to stabilize in a new piano?  Is it
because the cost of labor to stabilize would outweigh the benefit of
immediate stabilization?

JF