Cracked Apron Question and Serial# Help

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 9 06:38:29 MST 2007

Julia,

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  "Sounds great" isn't normally
associated with broken or unglued bridge.  While you lead off with
"cracked apron",  your questions are all about relocating the bridge,
not about repairing the crack.
Q:  If it sounds great, why not leave well enough alone?
Q:  If it sounds like the bass bridge has lost its connection to the
soundboard, why not start by repairing the cracked apron and see how
that affects the sound?
Here's one answer:  To be confident in your bridge/apron diagnosis, and
to effectively repair them, you will have loosen the bass strings and
get them off of the bridge.  Also helpful in making repairs without
getting glue on the strings.
And another answer:  Before the apron can move around on the soundboard,
you have to remove all the bridge button screws from the back of the
soundboard.  Not uncommon to find one hidden behind a back-post - if you
can't get it with an offset screwdriver, drill through the backpost to
get access for a standard screwdriver.

Mike