1939 Steinway wippens

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 13:29:16 MST 2007

JD
  The generally held rumor is that the wood was treated with a tallow
solution of some kind & ooops,  it didn't work, But then  this, is, after all, the
incredible good fortune for American Techs.  You  see ....it keeps us employed.
 Yes & then there is Teflon & Teflon  impregnations. I do not believe its'
ample as all/most American pianos I know of  employed the use of maple
especially in flanges
  I looove this company. grin.  Hope you are well
  Dale

I  must bow to your greater experience.  By chance I have just been
sent  a set of  shanks and hammers from an old New York Steinway S.
Having  received the new flanged shanks today from Renner I matched
them up to the  old ones to prepare for the job and realised that
there was some verdigris  on all the patterns I have been sent.  I
don't know how long the  piano has been in England.  It is very rare
to see this in European  pianos.  Do you think it has to do with the
maple flanges and some  chemical in the wood that causes the action?
I can't think of any European  piano that has used maple flanges.
Most of them use hornbeam and  Herrburger and a few others used
service wood (sorbus domestica) for the  flanges, even though
Herrburger used maple for the other parts in some  actions.

JD