The Duplex affect

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sun Nov 11 09:31:44 MST 2007

Dale:

I'm with you on the duplex scale thing.  The rear duplex probably adds
some high frequency sounds more of a cymbalstern effect since all the
frequencies are singing along with the vibration of the bridge.  That's
fine unless it gets obnoxious.

The front duplex however, is the one that bugs me the most.  I have a
few pianos at the school that just when I get a note tuned where I want
it, the front duplex makes an untoward noise I'd rather do without.  I
realize that the front duplex contributes some brilliance to the tone
which you can tell when you mute it out.  However, I don't think that's
brilliance that I need.  If I want more brilliance I can do it with the
hammer and traditional methods.  That brilliance I have some control
over.  The front duplex brilliance is kind of there or not there and is
out of my control.  My choice is to get rid of that brilliance I can't
control, and bring up brilliance I can control.

Does that make me a control freak??

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu