Voicing down hammers - part2

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Sun Nov 11 09:48:25 MST 2007

Good morning all.

I opened a thread last week about voicing down
rocks-at-the-end-of-hammer-shanks. I want to let
you know that 2 suggestions worked just fine -
alcohol(Dave Love)instead of acetone..and vice
grips(Mr.Jon Page). I was able to get the
texture of the hammers using alcohol to the
point that vice grips would actually make a
difference. As an aside, I am going to steam
them once and needle the fine points before
sending this piano off to the client. It will
literally whisper when that player system is
down to its lowest volume. It's pretty good now,
and it will get softer after steam/needles.

I got much better results using alcohol as
opposed to acetone, and I have been under the
impression that acetone is the preferred liquid
to soften these types of hammers. I get them
softer in 1/2 the time it took me using acetone
as opposed to alcohol. I'm glad I asked the
question.

Thanks,

-Phil Bondi(Fl)