Steinway action noise

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 13:15:03 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/16/2007 7:43:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
deanmay at pianorebuilders.com writes:

>>They have paid for something they didn't get.
Actually, they got everything they paid for. They awarded the bid to a cheap
price and that is precisely what they got. Don’t place all the blame on the
tech.

Dean,

It isn't a matter of blame, but of responsibility. We have all done work for
which we were not ready. It's a way to gain experience, but we pay a price one
way or another; either in extra time on the job, having to re-do the work,
having to hire an expensive consultant to help us, or, worst, in damage to
reputation.

Price competition is the basis of our economy. If I charge more and don't
differentiate my work from the person who works for less, I'm going to lose the
job. I'm sure the tech didn't say, "I'll charge $x,xxx and return an action
that doesn't match either the original design, objective manufacturer's
specifications, or subjective performance qualities that your musicians expect, and
that other technicians can produce." He might have done his absolute best, but it
doesn't appear to fulfill either the explicit or implicit requirements of
this job. The school may have learned the same lesson that we as techs learn when
we buy a cheap tool, expecting it to perform like a more expensive one; but I
still suspect they were promised more than they were provided. This is not a
case where tiny details of regulation are a matter of preference; it appears
to be a case where objective criteria of function were not met.

Finally, I really don't mean this as a lambasting of the technician. When we
work for accomplished musicians who require a machine matching their skill
level, we meet their expectations or we don't. If we don't, we pay. No moral
judgment here; it's just one of the realities in any skilled profession.

Cordially,
Bob Davis