1943 Baldwin Acrosonic

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 07:47:45 MST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 5:39 AM, Martin Wisenbaker <mbjwisenbaker at juno.com> wrote:
> Bruce:
>
> Thanks for your reply and instructions. I shall do accordingly.
>
> Martin Wisenbaker, RPT

I have run across one other instance that might be your problem if
the side isn't loose, the keybed screws had been stripped when run in
at the factory, apparantly. The keybed was falling out little by
little a friend of mine was tuning it for contest with a bunch of new, fresh
out of the box pianos. He told me he kept taking up lost motion then
began tuning again only to have the lost motion return. I was down the
hall tuning a couple of the school's pianos for warmup rooms and he
asked me to take a look at it. As I walked into the room I spotted the
gap between the keybed and the arm of the piano, only because of his
explanation. The cabinet was, of course particle board so instead of
trying to fix the existing holes I got my drill from the truck and we
made new ones!

In your instance, with an old Acrosonic, it's possible that it was
pushed, dropped, pressured in some way that caused the screws that
hold the keybed to fail or perhaps just the threads in the wood. Just
an FYI for something else to check.

Mike

Mike

--
You never learn anything by doing it right.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com