Boston Pianos

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 22:38:29 MST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 10:54 PM,  <piannaman at aol.com> wrote:
> Interesting that most of my Boston clients have no idea that they are built
> by Kawai.  They usually think it's a Steinway built piano that will hold
> them over "until they can afford a Steinway."
>
> Dave S.

The client that I was truly sorry for was a Nice new church, well to
do congregation, to give you an idea they built a new red brick church
of good size with the apropriate soaring ceilings, full basement etc.
and were able to retire the full debt in 5 years. It was only then
that they began searching for a piano a customer of mine, more
knowledgable than most, he is an insurance adjuster for property loss
and pianist who frequently is guest artist at churchs around the area.
He also took a piano tech course in college was advising the purchase
committee but was not a member of it. When they would  look at a piano
and get a price he would call me to get my opinion. They finally came
down to 2 pianos a Kawai RX-7 with the Millenium 3 action or a Boston
218 a discontinued model. Both were 7'2" pianos both Kawai built
however the building is one I've described before on this list, built
entirely of masonry into
the side of a bluff overlooking a small river. Because of the way the
bluff curves, the church only gets sunshine in the morning and midday,
even the roof is in shadow by 3PM summer or winter. My advice was to
go for the RX-7 with the Millenium3. However the church pianist heard
the name Steinway attached to the Boston name and declared they HAD to
buy that one, so they did. With a full Dampp-Chaser system(50w) and an
extra 50W bar under the keybed plus the full drop cover the piano
doesn't
vary in pitch more than a few cents and I've had no action problems,
it will be 3 years old in March.

Oh, by the way, the pianist that insisted they buy it because of the
Steinway name? Isn't a member of the church, she's a hired gun! They
just pay her to play it, she doesn't go to that church! Go figure!

Mike

--
You never learn anything by doing it right.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com