Sympathetic Vibration

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 18:46:21 MST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 11:34 AM, Arlie Rauch <adarpub at midrivers.com> wrote:
> I tuned for a customer yesterday who complained of a sympathetic
> vibration.  The piano is a nice Yamaha studio, just a few years old.
> The mother of the house was not home, but her daughter who takes
> lessons was.  When I struck the C below middle C, she said, There's
> the vibration.  The sound was being made by a wallhanging, which,
> incidentally was a curvy metal musical staff with a couple notes on
> it.  Damping that solved the problem.
>
> This morning the customer called certain that the vibration had been
> there before the wallhanging had (not that she was still hearing
> it).  Only problem is that that was the only vibration we heard, it
> was identified by the pupil, and damping it eliminated the problem.
>
> The customer thinks it's in the piano.  Just wondering whether any of
> you have noticed strange vibrations associated with Yamaha pianos.
> I've tuned quite a few, and I've never noticed anything strange
> typical of that brand and especially difficult to trace.
>
> Arlie Rauch

I hate to be the only one answering with a serious answer here but I
have noticed the whatchamacallit that Yamaha puts on the bottom of the
action rail at the break between tenor and treble. The threaded piece
that has the rubber/neoprene bumper on the plate side that is supposed
to hold the action in place from moving? rattling? I have noticed it
vibrates loose or the bumper wears off or hardens and has a
distinctive rattle on certain notes when they are struck hard. Both on
P-22's and U-1's, the only Yamaha studios I see around here.
Hope that helps,
Mike

--
You never learn anything by doing it right.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com