Young Chang tuning instability

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 22 16:00:36 MST 2007

> I have regularly tuned a Young Chang PF-250 for about a year, and it
> sounds horrible every time I come back for another tune.  In the tenor
> section, one note might be +15 cents, while the one next to it is -15.
>  Unisons are completely unacceptable.  Bass section and high treble seem
> to be okay.
>
> The person who plays this piano is a "Horowitz", plays very hard, but I
> still think the stability could be better.  Plate bolts are tight,
> tuning pins have sufficient torque, I have seated strings, and I pound
> the heck out of it every time I tune.
>
> Ideas?

How many times in the last year have you tuned it, and what
have the humidity levels been at the time?

With one note in the tenor being +15 cents, and the one next
it being -15 cents (same bridge, I trust), there are a few
things it is not. It's not strings that need seated, either on
the bridge, or coils. It's not loose plate bolts. It's not
pinblock to flange fit. It's not back separation. It's not
incorrect downbearing.

It's not uncommon for a piano with a failed soundboard with an
"s" curved crown to go sharp and flat in odd patterns in
different areas, but not with adjacent notes on the same
bridge going in different directions. Same with direct
sunlight and furnace cycling.

The first most likely cause is that you're pounding too hard
(or not hard enough) with the tuning, not equalizing string
segment tensions well, and leaving the piano in an unstable
state after tuning. Strings commonly creep sharp, or flat in
this case. As Patric said, go over it twice. If you find
significant changes on the second pass, that's the problem.

The second is that you have an invisible friend who "touches
up" the tuning for you between tunings, which invisible
friends will rarely admit to until cornered.

Who tuned it before you started? Ask them what they
experienced with it, if they remember.
Ron N