Soundboard mass

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 24 10:40:03 MST 2007

> Indeed! I was not making the distinction between strength and resistance
> to flexure, ie. stiffness, presuming erroneously that they were the
> same, so it can be said that "the strength of a rectangular beam varies
> as the square of the depth, and the stiffness to resist deflection
> varies as the cube of the depth" as you say, which means that a 38mm
> bridge is more than 50% stiffer than one 33mm tall and if one were to
> increase the height to 40mm. there would be a 78% stiffness advantage.

If you're talking about loading to failure, it's a moot point
in a bridge, since the flexural loads aren't anywhere near the
limit of strength. Stiffness is exactly the quality in question.

>>  A similar net effect can be gotten with a short bridge with the
>> addition of more crowned ribs.
>
> That I am not qualified to calculate, but I am thinking of the whole
> length of the bridge and perhaps you are thinking more of remedial
> measures for weakness in a troublesome part of the scale as found
> commonly in old American Steinways (the "killer octave" ??).  To stiffen
> the whole stucture by this means would surely mean adding quite a lot of
> unwanted mass, many times more than by increasing the bridge height or
> adding a "mirror bridge" as used by Grotrian, Rittmüller et al.    To my
> mind a high ratio of stiffness to mass is of prime importance.
>
> JD

I'm talking about in general, a lesser bridge height can be
effectively compensated for by increasing the number of load
supporting ribs. If these ribs are shortened through the
treble with cutoffs, considerable stiffness can be obtained
with a net reduction in mass, if that's what you want. Ribs
can also be reconfigured to be deeper and narrower, again
increasing stiffness without being locked into any particular
mass as a result. They can also be made wider if you want more
mass. The whole point of redesign with rib crowned and
supported boards is that you get to make these decisions
consciously and deliberately rather than taking what the 150
year old approaches and assumptions leave you stuck with. This
isn't smoke and mirrors. A number of small shop rebuilders are
currently doing this stuff quite successfully.
Ron N