Soundboard mass

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 24 13:13:08 MST 2007

> Yes, I must say that I've never understood why for a long period makers
> with very few exceptions used, and still do, ribs of more or less square
> cross-section rather than taller and narrower bars providing the same or
> better stiffness for less mass.  There was a time, however, in the very
> early days of the modern piano, when some makers did so, especially on
> uprights.

They certainly did. There were a number of indications along
the way that some of the manufacturers had engineers  with a
fair understanding of the principals involved, and the
interactions among the various parts. A number of good ideas
and a whole lot of valid information has been lost by not
disseminating, or even recording the reasoning behind the
general approach and details of things tried. A number of very
promising design aspects, and a greater understanding of cause
and effect relationships were sadly abandoned.

> I'm sure they are, and I have at no point suggested it's anything like smoke
 >and mirrors, but my thoughts tend always towards design from
scratch although
 >I'm a rebuilder and although one of my main current projects
involves the
 >lowering of the level of the (new) soundboard to accomodate
a 40mm tall bridge.

Are you planning to use the same ribbing as the original?

> And though Wolfenden may speak of a 38 mm bridge I think he
> did not actually use such a tall bridge and very few makers did, with
> exceptionally good results.

I expect that's right.
Ron N