Soundboard mass

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 16:16:39 MST 2007

At 13:10 -0800 24/11/07, David Love wrote:

>I think the reason they didn't use taller ribs is because with compression
>crowing, the taller, stiffer ribs won't bend under panel compression and you
>won't get adequate crown.  Isn't it true that the narrower taller ribs that
>you see on some older pianos were generally radiused?

Yes, but so were the others over here.  I could not with certainty
name a single European maker that produces the crown by compression
and it's always seemed to me a pretty queer way to do things,
Steinway notwithstanding.  The traditional English way to crown the
board is to shrink the board by drying to a certain moisture content
and while it is still warm and dry to glue on the bars which are
planed convex to match the ultimate concavity of the underside of the
board.    As the board reabsorbs moisture and expands, so the initial
tension between the bars (which are maintained at normal moisture
content) and the shrunken board diminishes and, provided proper
procedures are followed, the result is stable and durable and quite
independent of any external bending force.  The inner rim may be
angled to follow the crown or to tend slightly to increase it but
this is a refinement.

Last year I removed the board from the piano that is the subject of
the project I mentioned in my last post.  After 140 years it has the
same crown it had when it was built and no cracks -- and most
certainly none of those wonderful "compression marks"!

On reflection -- and I ought to have reflected earlier! -- the reason
deep bars were/are avoided is almost certainly to keep the framing
members as close as possible to the line of the force they are there
to withstand.  Some shallow cutting out to allow passage of the bars
was allowed but too much would remove strength where it was most
needed -- so, I imagine the reasoning would go.  I've seen perfectly
functioning grand pianos with no braces at all.

JD