Heintzman 186 Conservatory Grand Problem

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 25 07:51:43 MST 2007

Dave and list,

                I had this problem and reported it to this list maybe a year
ago or more. It was on an old Henry F. Miller that had never had the action
out in its' lifetime. Everything was original and it showed. The problem, I
discovered, was that the entire plate was bowing down in the middle while
the string tension was up. Once I removed the tension in preparation for a
new pin block the plate flexed upwards allowing the action to slide out
easily. Did I mention that the plate flexed up .. way up? The fix after the
pin block was to make sure that the plate horn wedge did not fall out this
time. After that it all behaved quite normally. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Greg Newell